Boules rink on the cards for Oakleaze Green

November 24 2017

A FLAVOUR of France could come to a public open space in Thornbury if plans for a boules rink go ahead.

A FLAVOUR of France could come to a public open space in Thornbury if plans for a boules rink go ahead.

The town council wants to know how much support there is for the proposal to establish the facility on Oakleaze Green.

The idea is one option for improving the green, which is owned and maintained by the council.

 Other proposed schemes include creating a new path from St David’s Road to Oakleaze Road, which would formalise a current well-used walk-through which often becomes muddy.

A better surface for the path would make it easier for children walking to and from school, as well as other pedestrians.

It is also hoped to plant several small trees near homes in Elmdale Crescent.

If the boules rink - also known as a petanque court - goes ahead, it will be sited next to existing trees close to Elmdale Crescent, with benches also provided.

The council said funding for the project was potentially available from an agreement linked to the development of homes on the town’s former police station site in Rock Street.

Courts or pitches must be provided to serve the needs of residents living in the new housing and the green is considered close and accessible enough for those householders, as well as the wider community.

Clive Parkinson, chairman of the council’s playing fields and cemetery committee, said: “We are continually striving to improve the facilities we can offer local residents and ensure that money from new developments positively contributes to our community.

“These plans are an example of this. We are keen to gather the views of local people on these proposals before any decisions are made.”

Anyone who wants to comment must do so by the end of November and their views will be taken into account when the council subsequently considers the proposals.

Further information and a plan showing the potential location of the features is available from the town hall or from the council’s website.