Cup final heartache for Thornbury

May 15 2019
Cup final heartache for Thornbury

Weston-super-Mare 49-27 Thornbury

THORNBURY put in a fine performance before going down to Weston in the final of the Bristol Combination Cup.

Thornbury kicked off at Dings Crusaders’ ground in Frenchay but it was Weston who applied the early pressure, with No.8 Brad Talbot crashing over after four minutes. Player-coach Glenn Dickson, in his last game, converted.

Thornbury hit back with a try direct from a set piece. Following a scrum on half way, Dai Matthews burst through midfield and fed Jake Wood, who took play to the Weston 22 before moving the ball to Harry Glew, who cut inside the cover and shrugged off a tackle to score. Wood’s conversion hit the post.

The Weston pack continued to control the game and Thornbury were on the back foot for ten minutes, at the end of which another converted try put Weston 14-5 ahead.

As the half-hour approached Thornbury’s Louis Ogilvie was put clear down the blind side to run in for the team’s second unconverted try.

Thornbury’s tails were up and after several drives on the line Massey looked to have grounded the ball on the line before it bounced clear but the referee disallowed the try for a knock-on. Wood kicked a penalty to reduce the deficit to 14-13 but from the restart, Weston scored another converted try to take a 21-13 half-time lead.

The Weston scrum was now well on top and early in the second half former Thornbury junior Richard Bignell scored. Dickson’s conversion extended the lead to 28-13.

Thornbury answered with the try of the match. Matthews broke through on a powerful drive in midfield and excellent quick passing moved the ball to Richardson, who stepped and swerved through the cover defence and raced clear to score between the posts. Wood converted to reduce arrears to 28-20.

But with twenty minutes to go the Thornbury defence began to show signs of wear and tear, and three converted Weston tries put the match out of Thornbury’s reach at 49-20, with Dickson scoring every conversion.

However, Thornbury refused to give in and Wood twisted out of a tackle, handed off a defender and scored between the posts, converting the try to make the final score 49-27.

The game was the last of 206 senior appearances – 198 for the first XV – for Thornbury by Dai Matthews, who became the first back to score 100 tries for the first XV, finishing with 107.

Dave Fox