Pack powers Thorns to victory

January 23 2020
Pack powers Thorns to victory

Newent 0-38 Thornbury

THORNBURY’S well-drilled forwards out-muscled Newent to deliver a powerful six-try return to winning ways, after three successive defeats.

In constant drizzle and a stiff breeze on a heavy, slippery pitch, Thorns played to the conditions perfectly and adapted their style to turn pressure into points.
Thorns had enjoyed a 30-20 win over Newent at Rockhampton Road in September, since when Newent had endured a torrid season, losing all bar three of their games.

After ten minutes Thornbury went ahead. They won a lineout on the Newent ‘22’ and the forwards drove before releasing the ball. Then, after play was taken close to the Newent line, Sam Evans powered into two defenders and took them over with him for the try. Jack Pinker converted for a 7-0 lead.

The conditions ensured the game would be an arm-wrestle, and Thorns looked to carry through the midfield rather than spinning the ball wide. As the half-hour mark passed the referee consigned the home No 8 to the sin bin for coming in at the side to prevent a maul progressing over the line and, after Thorns put the ball in touch, from the lineout the maul rumbled over, with Pinker awarded the try and converting his score.

Thorns held out after Pinker was sent to the sin bin to lead 14-0 at the end of a tight first half.

Chris Moseley crashed over for his first senior try for Thornbury three minutes after the break to put Thorns 19-0 up and ten minutes later, the forwards drove again from a lineout in the Newent ‘22’ and this time it was James Phillips who scored the try. With a bonus point in the bag, Pinker converted to extend Thornbury’s lead. Then Thorns scored again three minutes later, when Harry Glew picked up and ran in from a breakdown in the Newent ‘22’ to score between the posts. Pinker added the extras and put Thorns 33-0 ahead.

With over 20 minutes left Thornbury brought on the replacements.

As time ran out, Newent lock Jack Devries was yellow-carded for a dangerously high no-arms tackle. With Thorns again one man up they destroyed the Newent scrum and, in injury time, had another driving lineout, with Jay Burley crashing over for their sixth try. Pinker’s conversion went wide but the referee blew for the end of the match with Thornbury winners 38-0.

It was a well disciplined and controlled performance by Thornbury, who knew how to play in the conditions.

Thornbury's home match with Cleve on January 18 was called off due to a waterlogged pitch and is likely to now be played on February 22.


Dave Fox