Thornbury succumb to St Ives

November 26 2018

St Ives 34 - 18 Thornbury

By Dave Fox

Another poor start set Thornbury on the way to a heavy defeat in deepest Cornwall. Despite a gutsy performance they were outmuscled by a bigger side

Although finishing both halves the stronger team Thornbury’s inexperienced side allowed St Ives to play their impressive power game and dictate proceedings.

St Ives, winners of Western Counties West last season, had enjoyed a good start to the season.

Thorns looked stuck in third gear as St Ives launched attack after attack with their powerful ball-carriers making inroads through some unconvincing tackles.

 The inevitable score came after eight minutes with Lawrance being driven over from a rolling maul. The conversion missed but after Thornbury restarted St Ives powered back and from a scrum fullback Dan Magee wandered over unopposed for a second unconverted try. 

Worse was to follow when almost directly from the restart St Ives’ skipper Tom Nicholas scored out wide. With fifteen minutes gone, St Ives led 15-0.

At last Thornbury got to grips with proceedings and Dan Hussey went over in the corner only to be called back for a forward pass. But the referee was playing advantage for offside and Jake Wood slotted over a penalty into the gale to open Thornbury’s account.

Close to half time Thornbury’s Jake Wood made an outside break, Alfie Richardson took it on and fed Harry Glew who was hauled down five metres short but he offloaded to Jake Wood who scored a fine try in the corner. He couldn’t convert but a few minutes later added a second penalty on the stroke of halftime to reduce arrears to 15-11 at the break.

Now with the elements behind them there was confidence that Thornbury could see this out, but St Ives had other ideas, Grant Thirlby going over in the corner for the bonus point try and a 20-11 lead.

As the third quarter drew to a close good handling and a loop move put St Ives wing Joe Parma in for a try which Magee converted and at 27-11 the home side were all but home and dry.

Thornbury tried to run out of defence but they dithered rather than running hard, were turned over and replacement hooker Connor Blick scored a sixth try. Magee added the extras for 34-11.

Thornbury looked to salvage something from the game and launched a series of attacks, Alfie Richardson rounding the cover and running in for a try. Jake Wood added the conversion and although the game restarted St Ives closed the game out for a comfortable win.