Thornbury youngsters prevail in stormy game

January 26 2018

Thornbury Town Under 18s entertained Tormarton at the wet and windy Mundy Playing Fields in what turned out to be a very combative game.

Thornbury Town Under 18s  entertained Tormarton at the wet and windy Mundy Playing Fields in what turned out to be a very combative game. 

After 2 weeks without a fixture due to the bad weather Thornbury started the game in determined mood and nearly took the lead twice in side the first ten minutes through Ollie Thorne and Denym Di Mauro but both attempts were well saved by the visitors’ keeper.  

Tormarton were playing with the wind behind them and this meant the Thornbury defence had to work hard to keep the visitors at bay. However it was the visitors who took the lead when Thornbury gave possession away cheaply in midfield and Tormarton took full advantage to play the ball through to their striker who turned and fired his shot low into the net. 

Thornbury responded strongly and soon drew level. From a corner kick the ball fell to defender Rob Ashworth who’s attempt cannoned back off the cross bar with the ball falling to Denym Di Mauro who steered the ball home. The visitors were now struggling to get out of their half and as the pressure built Thornbury took the lead for the first time in the match as the ball fell to Charlie Exell who hammered the ball home to grab his third goal in four games. 

Tormarton responded well to going behind but they were kept at bay and Thornbury went into the break with a narrow lead after playing against a strong wind.

Thornbury made several changes at the break and were using the wind behind them to good effect. Thornbury nearly extended their lead when they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, from the resulting kick Felix Brittain’s shot was well saved by Tormarton’s keeper. 

Tormarton were looking to hit Thorns on the break but the home defence held firm to any danger. Tormarton were lucky not to be to be reduced to 10 men when a ball up to striker Jacob Harper saw him spin and turn the visiting defender and just as he was about to break clear through on goal the defender brought him down.

Luckily for Tormarton the referee only produced a yellow card. As conditions deteriorated the game became a midfield battle with the only notable chance falling to Mike Tanner who saw his header from a corner kick go  narrowly wide. The win saw Thornbury move up to 3rd in the table with 2 games in hand on second place.